- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Strawberry jam (or just your favourite flavour)
1. Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Gradually add sugars, beating well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt: add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed after each addition until blended. Stir in vanilla extract. Divide dough into 2 equal portions; wrap each portion in plastic wrap to prevent drying out. Chill for 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove from fridge and let soften for a bit then roll cookie dough to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. (You may need to add a little more milk if it seems dry.) Cut with a heart-shaped cutter, and place on greased baking sheets. Cut center from half of cookies with a 1-inch round cutter or smaller heart-shaped cutter or any small cutter of your choice.
4. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Spread 1/2 teaspoon jam on solid cookies; top with cutout cookies.